Long Run Sunday

In case you missed it, I announced the St. Jude Blog Raffle Winners yesterday!!

I had a long run on the schedule for today. How long you ask? Well 9 miles, that’s long for me right now :) I made sure to have a good dinner last night and get into bed at a decent time. Who am I kidding, I’m always in bed at a decent time! I like my sleep! Anyway, the weatherman said it was going to be chilly this morning so that means I can sleep in a bit later and don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to run!!

I ended up waking up around 6:30ish. I have FINALLY figured out some pre-run fuel that sits well with my tummy. GU’s. I know it’s not much, but it’s better than nothing and has been the only thing this far that doesn’t give me tummy troubles during the run. So I took one GU before my run and one at mile 5 and carried my handheld water bottle with me. I am really digging my handheld. I definitely wouldn’t be hydrating enough if I didn’t have it with me!!

It was quite chilly this morning! My phone said 48 degrees when I was about to head out for my run. I was a little unsure of what I should wear since it seems like forever since I have run in the cold weather!! I decided to tough it out and wear capris and short sleeves. I’m glad I did because I ended up sweating by the end of my run! It was pretty windy too which made it tough when I was running directly into the wind. And of course, my very last mile was directly into the wind. I felt like I wasn’t moving at times! Haha.

I actually felt really good the entire run, until the very end when my feet were really hurting. I am very happy with my time, seeing as my average pace was a lot faster than the previous two 8 milers I did. So I feel like I am right on track for my half marathon.

My splits:

Mile 1: 10:45

Mile 2: 10:34

Mile 3: 10:39

Mile 4: 10:33

Mile 5: 10:41

Mile 6: 11:21 (walked for a minute to take my GU)

Mile 7: 10:44

Mile 8: 10:45

Mile 9: 10:26

Total:1:36:27

Avg Pace: 10:43

I am very happy with this run!! My legs and feet are sore now, so I’ve been icing my feet and stretching a lot. My plantar fasciitis is giving me lots of problems, which is more annoying than anything. I probably could have benefited from an ice bath, but I usually don’t do those until I get up to 10 miles. Yes, I realize it’s only 1 more mile but I like to “save it” until I hit the double digits. I know, I’m weird :)

I am happy with all my runs for this week. I got in all 4 with a grand total of 21 miles. Not too bad. Wish I could run 5 days per week but 12 hour clinical days kinda limit my time :) How many days a week do you run?

I think that’s it for now, going to go and relax a bit more and ice my feet again. Have a great Sunday!

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually only running 4 days a week in my marathon training plan and I love it.

    Darn those feet - mine always start hurting at the end of long runs, too! I'm hoping they'll make it through at least 20 miles during my marathon before the pain sets in!

     
  2. Nice job. 21 miles a week is reasonable for a half. I only run 4 days a week. Sometimes 5, but mostly 4. My runs are just longer during the week to get the weekly mileage I'm looking for. I also find my body (and mind) does better with a day off in between each run. Way to get it done girl!