First Days!

First days are always a little nerve wracking for me. You just never know what to expect! Yesterday was my first day of clinical (in the OR!) and the first day of my half marathon training plan!

I was so nervous for clinical that I slept awful Sunday night, which didn’t make my 4:30am wake up call vey nice. Yep, that’s right, I have to be at the hospital around 6am! But, my day was great! I was with a wonderful preceptor who actually let me do stuff! I got to start some IV’s (it’s been over a year since I’ve done one) and intubate! Made me very happy about the career path I’m heading down :)

Luckily, I have today and tomorrow off, so I got to sleep in this morning!! Felt great to sleep!! My training plan started off yesterday with a rest day. I obviously had no time to run seeing as I got up at 4:30 am and didn’t get home until 7:30ish. Plus I am always tired after 12 hour days! So today was the first run on my training plan: a 4 mile tempo run. By the time I woke up this morning, it was already hot outside and I knew I would do better on the treadmill. I started my warm-up mile and felt awful.  I just knew this run wasn't gonna be easy. I was just so not into this run at all and the boring treadmill wasn’t helping. I tried to distract myself by watching Bachelor Pad I recorded last night but that wasn’t help either! So I decided to switch it up from a tempo run to a fartleck run, much more treadmill friendly! I did my favorite 5-4-3-2-1 fartleck run and stopped at 3 miles. That’s literally all my mind could take! Not the best way to start out a new training plan, but at least I ran, right?!

So here is my St. Jude Half Marathon training plan for all of you who want to know :) I will be changing up the days some according to my schedule but I am hoping to keep the mileage and types of runs the same. I made this schedule according to one I pulled out of Runner’s World a while back. I never have done specific speed training and tempo runs during training so this will be new to me! I got the paces off the Runner’s World training calculator for a 2:15 half, so I am gonna try to stick to that, even though the easy runs seems a bit slow! So, what do you think? Anything you would change?

And last but not least, please donate to my St. Jude Heroes Fund!! I am not even halfway to my goal and I need your help! Any amount of donation helps!!

3 comments:

  1. Hat's off to you and all the other RN's of the world. Medical stuff scares me so much!

    I noticed you have an 8 mile run this weekend - fun! I have really learned to love my long runs. I hope you do too!

     
  2. Congrats on surviving day one! And intubating on the first day?? I'm impressed.

     
  3. So an exercise plan is just that a plan, but that doesn't mean it will be easy or followed to the T. Don't get discouraged just try to keep doing something everyday and eventually it will become part of your routine and not an extra task :)
    ~Keep Blogging (or should I say jogging)